Thursday, August 11, 2016

Bible

The rule of thumb when writing historical fiction is to use the King James Version (KJV) and for most of the 19th century it was the most published version of the Bible.

But in 1881-1885 the English Revised Version (ERV) came along and offered some serious competition to the KJV.

The rest of the translations came in the 20th century to today.

I'm fortunate to have Bible Software that can change versions with the click of the mouse. I do love today's technologies even though I enjoy writing about the past.

I have in my possession a bible that was owned by someone in my family in 1831. Unfortunately the person who received it did not put their name in the Bible. It was given to them by the Ocean Park Sunday School in 1831. It's hard to believe how white the pages still are. There are three notes in the back: Hebrews 11 Faith, Ecc. 3 There is a season, and Luke 2 Christmas Story. That's it.

I have another Bible that also came down through the family it was rebound after years of use. It has underlines, notes all throughout the Bible.

At first glance you might think the first Bible wasn't used all that much, and it is probably true, I don't know. What's your Bible say about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment