Thursday, August 4, 2016

Ayers: Every Man His Own Doctor

Another resource I stumbled across, actually a friend gave this book to me when she and her husband were packing up the family home, is "AYERS' EVERY MAN HIS OWN DOCTOR Family Medical Adviser" Copyright 1879. It's a huge volume with 598 pages. But it is also interesting to see how they understood various illnesses at the time.

For example I have Type II diabetes. In this volume it recommends: "Treatment.--The diet should be entirely animal food--all vegetable substances to be avoided. . . " And on and on it goes.

Today I eat a healthy amount of vegetables and so many carbs portions and so many protein portions in a day. The key is balancing your diet and not eating too many carbs. But today we check our blood at least once a day. In Ayers you check your urine. Yes, I thank God every day that I was born in this era. :-)

From time to time I'll post from Ayers' book but if anyone has a specific question while they're researching go ahead and post me a note.

No comments:

Post a Comment